51 Astor Place, a mixed-use commercial and academic building, is the Village's newest high-rise. In 1835 it was the site of New York's first cast-iron building and the headquarters of the American Bible Society. The building stood on an entire city block and featured a printing room, bindery and salesroom.
The American Bible Society was naturally a majoy tourist attraction for New York's Christian visitors and an anchor in the 4th Avenue's Book Row, where many of NYC's bookstores and printing facilities were located.
In 1956, the building was demolished to make way for Cooper Union's engineering school.
The photograph below shows the American Bible Society building in 1904 at the corner of 4th Avenue and Astor Place. Read more about the site here.