Greenwich Village Free Walking Tours
Steeped in artistic, political and progressively social history, Greenwich Village today remains a cultural melting pot. The ‘Village’ has been, and remains a bohemian capital, a center of the modern LGBT movement and one of the birthplaces of the ‘Beat’ and 60’s counter cultures.
Join a FREE Greenwich Village walking tour led by the Village Alliance, each Saturday from June through September and see for yourself the places where so much history has been made, and the places where today’s locals continue the Village vibe.
Walking from St Marks Place to Sixth Avenue the tours take in some of the Village’s most important landmarks, including –
- Where Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney opened the first Whitney Museum and had her studio.
- See the residences of Andy Warhol, Lou Reed and Jackson Pollock.
- Pass by the studios Jimi Hendrix built, and where Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, David Bowie recorded much of their work, and where many major musicians still record.
- Visit the spot where Barbara Streisand used to perform for just $125 per week.
- See where Jack Kerouac cavorted with the ‘Village Beat’.
- Find the building that Abraham Lincoln declared ‘Right Makes Might’, gaining him the presidency.
Alongside historic landmarks the tours visit the Villages’ modern day institutions, observing where the places todays ‘Villagers’ work, live and play, and where they maintain the sense of the unique, bizarre and beautiful bohemia we call Greenwich Village.
Rain or shine tours meet at 11:30 AM at St. Marks Church (northwest corner of Second Avenue and E. 10th Street) and finish near the corner of W. 8th Street and Sixth Avenue. Be sure to stick around for lunch and try one of the neighborhood’s great restaurants. You might just meet a modern day living legend, too.
Led by licensed guides, each tour lasts about 90 minutes and features unique and interesting information on the various social, architectural and/or historic aspects of the neighborhood.
KEY TOUR INFORMATION
Dates - Every Saturday from June 3 to September 23.
Time - Starting 11.30am and lasting approximately 90 minutes.
Meeting Location – St. Marks Church (northwest corner of Second Avenue and E. 10th Street). Guides will be holding a Village Alliance Walking Tour sign.
Cost – All tours are FREE
Reservation Policy – Reservations are NOT required. Simply turn up at the meeting point.