• Description

    Originally a private lane of 19th century stables belonging to adjacent townhouses.  With the advent of the automobile in the early 20th century, most of the stables became studio workshops for artists.  In 1907 wealthy socialite and sculptor Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney—future founder of the Whitney Museum of American Art—leased a stable here for her workshop, and soon became a patron of less-affluent artists in the Village.

  • Map